Introducing hybridGEOTABS - Comfort supplied in a sustainable way! - 25th November 10am-12noon CET
Providing very comfortable and healthy buildings in an energy-efficient, sustainable and financially viable way, and ready to play in the smart grid?
hybridGEOTABS buildings offer huge potential to meet the key goals for buildings in the European green deal. Building-integrated radiant heating and cooling systems and geothermal heat pumps are a match made in heaven, enabling very high energy efficiencies and the flexibility of thermal storage, while providing freedom of space and high thermal comfort to the user.
The hybrid combination of this GEOTABS concept with additional systems, enlarges the application field to a variety of mid-size and large buildings throughout Europe. The smart controller (a Model Predictive Controller) continuously optimises the real-life building performance and can govern the interaction with renewables and the grid.
This training introduces the hybridGEOTABS concept and its key assets and is accessible for everyone fascinated by sustainable building.
Ideal for everyone interested in sustainable and comfortable buildings, targeting stakeholders in the wide building and energy sector: building owners and managers, building and energy professionals (e.g. architects, HVAC- and control-engineers, contractors), policy-makers, researchers, architecture and engineering students...
- What is hybridGEOTABS? - Wim Boydens, Boydens Engineering (20 mins)
- hybridGEOTABS - Comfort & Health - Ongun Berk Kazanci, Danish Technical University and Rick Kramer, Maastricht University (20 mins)
- hybridGEOTABS & Sustainability - Eline Himpe / Jelle Laverge, Ghent University (20 mins)
- What you need to know about MPC! - Damien Picard, University of Leuven (20 mins)
- Cost and Benefits: People-Planet-Profit - Lukas Ferkl, Czech Technical University & UCEEB (25 mins)
- Conclusions/Q&A - Wim Boydens (15 mins)
Register and find out more here: https://bit.ly/35m6guX
Click here to read more about the hybridGEOTABS concept and the team
Designing hybridGEOTABS - Comfort supplied in a sustainable way! - 17th December 10.00 - 12.45 CET
hybridGEOTABS refers to the efficient integration of the combination of GEOTABS (GEOthermal heat pumps with Thermally Activated Building Systems) and secondary heating and cooling systems in buildings, controlled using model predictive controls (MPC). This technology offers huge potential to meet heating and cooling needs throughout Europe in a sustainable way, while providing a very comfortable conditioning of the indoor space.
This training introduces the hybridGEOTABS concept and its main benefits and challenges, providing insights into the technical principles underlying the concept and the design. The performance and feasibility of hybridGEOTABS are influenced by the design of the building, and the optimal sizing of the hybrid systems is an interesting design question. To support designers in the earliest stages of the design, a new design method is developed and its outcomes are made available via tools. The training provides general design guidelines, and an introduction to the tools and their background. Finally, the control of hybridGEOTABS buildings using model predictive controls is introduced, and what are important aspects to consider during the HVAC-design.
The training is targeting building and/or HVAC-designers (architects, HVAC-engineers), architecture and engineering students.
- The hybridGEOTABS concept unravelled (30 mins)
- hybridGEOTABS design principles (50 mins)
- Tools for feasibility study and pre-design (40 mins)
- MPC for HVAC-engineers (20 mins)
- Conclusions / Q&A (25 mins)
- Prof. Wim Boydens, Boydens Engineering
- Prof. Jelle Laverge, Ghent University
- Dr. Eline Himpe, Ghent University
- Dr. Damien Picard, KU Leuven
2 hours 45 mins
Register and find out more here: https://bit.ly/35pjF5j
Click here to read more about hybridGEOTABS concept and the team
Prof. dr. ir.
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Celestijnenlaan 300 post box 2421